What are some good non-dairy sources of calcium?

Certain kinds of leafy greens are great sources of calcium, says Dr. Oz. Learn which green is one of his favorites and how he likes to prepare it by watching this video.
Julieanna Hever, RD
Dietitian Julieanna Hever discusses some good non-dairy sources of calcium. Watch Julieanna Hever's video for tips and information on healthy eating.

Doreen Rodo

Calcium has been added to juices and cereals, but you should read the labels and see if the product has at least 10% of the daily value (dv). There is a pasta called, Smart Taste", that has 30% dv for calcium along with 25% vitamin D per serving. A bonus is that it also has fiber so it's a good choice. There are other items that include calcium such as pancake mixes, trail mixes, and fruit bars, but read the label before you buy it. Spinach and almonds are also a good source of calcium.

Ten good non-dairy sources of calcium include:
  • Beans (pinto, black, white)
  • Broccoli
  • Dry roasted almonds
  • Tofu and soy products
  • Figs
  • Greens (collard, kale, spinach)
  • Rhubarb
  • Salmon with bones
  • Pink canned salmon, canned shrimp
  • Fortified juices and cereals
Diet for a Pain-Free Life: A Revolutionary Plan to Lose Weight, Stop Pain, Sleep Better and Feel Great in 21 Days, ADA...sound nutritional advice...do-able, delicious..a godsend to pain sufferers.

Do you wake up each morning aching with joint or muscle pain? Have you been trying to lose stubborn belly fat for years? Do you wish you could be active without pain medications? Look no further:...

Continue Learning about Calcium

If I don’t get enough calcium in my diet, should I supplement?
Alexandra JamiesonAlexandra Jamieson
Luckily you can get enough calcium through healthy foods like greens, nuts, seeds, beans, and sea ve...
How much calcium should a child have in their diet?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
In most cases, 2 or 3 servings a day of calcium-rich food is all that your child needs. Toddlers req...
Best Time to Take Your Calcium Supplement
Are Calcium Supplements Safe?
Are Calcium Supplements Safe?