Do medications and calcium supplement help prevent osteoporosis?

Maybe. In the Framingham study, done to examine heart health, one side study showed exercises that strengthen muscles above and below the joint, vitamin C, vitamin D, and calcium helped stop the progression of osteoarthritis. Now here is a caveat: They may sound a bit similar, but osteoporosis and osteoarthritis are two different diseases. While calcium is extremely important for building and keeping strong bones, which staves off osteoporosis, there’s not such strong evidence that extra calcium prevents osteoarthritis or even relieves osteoarthritis symptoms. That being said, inflammatory arthritis accelerates bone loss and strong bones keep you active, which can help relieve symptoms, so getting enough calcium in your diet is crucial. We think you need 600 mg daily from food and supplements. Good food sources include low-fat dairy products (skim milk, no-fat cheese, no-fat yogurt), spinach, and tofu, to name a few. If you need to get the rest from supplements, take it with magnesium. Your pipes will thank us.

Continue Learning about Calcium

Should I take calcium supplements?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
One of the biggest investigations into the efficacy of calcium supplementation among postmenopausal ...
How do I know how much elemental calcium is in my supplement?
To find the amount of elemental calcium, check the Nutrition Facts Panel. Calcium is listed in milli...
Are Multivitamins a Waste of Money?
Are Multivitamins a Waste of Money?
What Are Some Good Non-Dairy Sources of Calcium?