How do I know how much elemental calcium is in my supplement?

To find the amount of elemental calcium, check the Nutrition Facts Panel. Calcium is listed in milligrams (mg) according to “serving size” -- usually one or two tablets. The Nutrition Facts Panel also lists the Percent Daily Value (% Daily Value), which indicates how much one serving provides toward the average daily recommended amount of a given nutrient for most people. For calcium, the % Daily Value is 1,000 mg of elemental calcium. Therefore a %DV of 20% would be 200mg. Don’t be tricked by the total weight of each tablet, which is simply the weight of the calcium plus whatever it’s bound to -- such as carbonate, citrate, or lactate, etc. Calcium supplements are also available in combination with vitamins and other minerals such as vitamins K and D. Although vitamin D is necessary for the absorption of calcium, it does not need to be taken at the same time.

Continue Learning about Calcium

Do calcium supplements help with osteoporosis?
Calcium supplementation can help prevent osteoporosis, the "brittle bone" disease that results from ...
Do the recommendations for calcium change after menopause?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
That depends on whether you are taking estrogen. It is not too late to keep your bones strong la...
Are Calcium Supplements Safe?
Are Calcium Supplements Safe?
Are Multivitamins a Waste of Money?
Are Multivitamins a Waste of Money?