What are signs of an inhalation burn injury?

Inhalation injuries are difficult to detect unless the person alerts personnel that the injury has occurred. If the person is unconscious, medics may not immediately notice an inhalation burn injury. But if the burn happened in an enclosed space, an inhalation injury should be suspected.

Signs of an inhalation injury may include burns on the person’s face or charred areas near the throat and mouth.  The burn victim may have trouble breathing and have burned facial or nasal hair and singed ear lobes. If the person can speak, there may be changes in the voice or a raspy cough. Also, the person may have lip burns with bloody saliva or mucus.

Continue Learning about Burns

What is a friction burn?
Keith Roach, MDKeith Roach, MD
Rubbing one surface over another causes heat and mechanical wear to the surfaces. Very fast, forcefu...
Why is social support so important for burn victims?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
There’s no quick fix for a severe burn, but you can take measures to deal with the trauma in a posit...
How does the body react to a severe burn injury?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Once the body is severely burned, there is inflammation and blistering caused by fluid loss from dam...
How do I know if my second-degree burn is serious?
CareNowCareNow
Partial thickness burns (formerly known as second-degree burns) are considered serious if they occur...