How does the body react to a severe burn injury?

Once the body is severely burned, there is inflammation and blistering caused by fluid loss from damaged blood vessels. In traumatic injuries with severe burns, the person may go into shock because of fluid loss. To maintain blood pressure, emergency personnel will administer extra fluids and possible blood transfusions. Once the burn victim is taken to a medical facility, skin grafts will be applied to help boost healing. Also with severe burns, the chance of a bacterial infection is great because of the damage to the skin’s protective barrier. Tropical antibiotic creams are used along with oral or IV antibiotics to manage the bacterial infection.

After a severe burn, the body goes in a state of shock. (Shock is a life-threatening condition that starves your body of proper blood flow and oxygen.) You will need care at a hospital with special IVs and large amounts of fluid.

Continue Learning about Burns

What are the symptoms of a superficial burn?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Signs of superficial burns: Involves only the top layer of skin Cause skin to become red and d...
More Answers
How might scars affect my mental health?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Having scars can affect you emotionally. Having scars can make you feel upset, angry, lonely and sad...
More Answers
What are the different types of burns?
Dr. Alexander M. Majidian, MDDr. Alexander M. Majidian, MD
Burns range from the first- to the third- degree. In this video, Alexander Majidian, MD, FACS of the...
More Answers
What happens to skin when it is healing from sunburn?
Alexander M. Majidian, MDAlexander M. Majidian, MD
The skin becomes very sensitive and tries to repair after being sunburned. In this video, Alexander ...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.