What is the rate of incidence for burning mouth syndrome?

Burning mouth syndrome is reported as a problem in between .7 and 5 percent of the general population. It is most common in menopausal women. These numbers can vary slightly depending upon the study.
Estimates of how often people develop burning mouth syndrome vary greatly. The portion of the population that develops this painful, frustrating condition could be less than 1% or as high as 15%. The reason it's difficult to nail down a precise figure is that doctors use different criteria to diagnose burning mouth syndrome. One fact is beyond dispute, however: Women develop this condition much more often than men do.

Approximately 1.3 million Americans suffer from burning mouth syndrome (otherwise known as BMS or glossodynia). Most of the people with this condition are woman who are postmenopausal. Burning mouth syndrome is fairly common but has not been found in children and is rare in people under 30 years of age.

Continue Learning about Burning Mouth Syndrome

Can burning mouth syndrome cause changes to the appearance of my mouth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Burning mouth will not alter your appearance. However, some factors of burning mouth could result in...
What lifestyle changes should I make if I have burning mouth syndrome?
If you experience burning mouth, it's possible that spicy or hot foods can trigger the problem. You ...
Can burning mouth syndrome (BMS) affect my diet?
Burning mouth syndrome (BMS) may affect your diet, and diet may be related to BMS. Allergies to cert...
How should I prepare for an appointment to diagnose burning mouth syndrome?
If you are experiencing burning mouth, your dentist will try to determine the cause and find treatme...