What is the duration of burning mouth syndrome?

Burning mouth syndrome (also known as BMS or glossodynia) can be chronic or intermittent. It can last for months or years. If there are underlying causes and they are treated, relief may come sooner. Sometimes, the condition will spontaneously resolve on its own.

Burning mouth syndrome, a syndrome that causes a fiery sensation on your tongue and the roof of your mouth, can last for months or years. Without any treatment, a third of people experience symptoms for 3 to 5 years. Symptoms of burning mouth syndrome include pain, numbness, a bitter or metallic taste in your mouth and a dry mouth feeling though saliva production is normal. Chewing gum or ice chips may help relieve symptoms which may get worse during the day, subside at night and return in the morning. Burning mouth syndrome is often a side effect of medications for various illnesses.
Burning mouth syndrome can vary in individuals. For some people this can potentially last years. Burning mouth is when you feel an oral burning sensation on the tongue, mouth or back of the mouth. If you are experiencing a burning pain, discuss this with your dentist for diagnosis and treatment.

Continue Learning about Burning Mouth Syndrome

What lifestyle changes should I make if I have burning mouth syndrome?
If you have burning mouth syndrome (also known as BMS or glossodynia), you should focus on pain reli...
What dental problems can cause burning mouth syndrome?
Dentures can contribute to burning mouth syndrome (also known as BMS or glossodynia). Dentures shoul...
How should I prepare for an appointment to diagnose burning mouth syndrome?
First off, you should keep a log of the symptoms you've experienced. Write down the frequency and se...
Can burning mouth syndrome cause changes to the appearance of my mouth?
Burning mouth syndrome (also known as BMS or glossodynia) does not cause any visual changes to your ...