Can burn pain be prevented?

All burn pain cannot be prevented - it happens as a result of burns, which are common accidents - but it's possible to lower your likelihood of getting burns (and thus burn pain) by taking some precautions. Always watch what you're cooking and use oven mitts. Keep pot handles away from the front of the stove, and lock up all chemicals that can cause burns. Avoid open flames and fire, including candles and cigarettes. You should also be sure that your water heater is set to below 130 degrees Fahrenheit (54 degrees Celcius) in order to avoid scalds and burns in the shower.

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
The only way to prevent burn pain is by not being burned. Avoid accidental burns by being careful of surroundings at all times. Second and third degree burns usually require some form of narcotic to alleviated burn pain. For minor burns, run cool water or soak skin for 5 minutes (no ice), cover burn with sterile dressings with antibiotic solutions, and use pain medications as necessary. For severe burns or facial burns seek attention of a burn center physician immediately.

Continue Learning about Burn Pain Treatment

Can burn pain be emotional?
Sheri Van DijkSheri Van Dijk
I think that any pain often has an emotional component, especially when it's chronic. One thing that...
How is burn pain diagnosed?
Burn pain is usually diagnosed by your doctor through history, symptoms, and a review of your skin. ...
Is burn pain serious?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Burn pain may be serious. Full thickness burns may present with pain. Full thickness eschar may pres...
Should I talk to my doctor about my burn pain symptoms?
Minor burn pain may not need a doctor's care, but more serious burn pain does. Minor burn pain from ...