What does frostbite look like?

Frostbite is characterized by white or grayish-yellow patches on the skin. It usually develops first on the ears, nose, fingers, toes, or cheeks. (This answer provided for NATA by the Eastern Kentucky University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Frostbite

How is frostbite diagnosed?
A doctor usually diagnoses frostbite by looking at your skin. Numbness, skin discoloration, and blis...
How do I recover from frostbite?
After you receive treatment for your frostbite, you need to be careful about exposing your skin to c...
What increases my risk for frostbite?
The risk of frostbite increases for people who take beta blockers or who have peripheral vascular di...
Are there alternative treatments for frostbite?
Mild cases of frostbite may not require prescription medication. Over-the-counter pain relievers and...