Are there alternative treatments for frostbite?

Mild cases of frostbite may not require prescription medication. Over-the-counter pain relievers and anti-inflammatory drugs, such as Motrin or Advil, can reduce discomfort. Putting aloe vera gel on the affected area can ease irritation, too.

The most important treatment for frostbite is to gradually warm the inpacted area and avoid exposing the area further to extreme heat or cold. You should consult a physician if you are experiencing symptoms of frostbite.

Continue Learning about Frostbite

How is frostbite diagnosed?
A doctor usually diagnoses frostbite by looking at your skin. Numbness, skin discoloration, and blis...
How is frostbite treated?
Leigh Vinocur, MDLeigh Vinocur, MD
The common mistakes people make to treat frostbite can actually cause more harm than good. These mis...
What increases my risk for frostbite?
The risk of frostbite increases for people who take beta blockers or who have peripheral vascular di...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with frostbite?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
To care for frostbite, handle the area gently. Remove wet clothing and jewelry, if possible, fro...