Who is at risk for bulimia nervosa?

Bulimia nervosa occurs in at least 1% of the population, with approximately a three to one predominance in females. Like anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa is most common in young adults and teens. In contrast, however, those with bulimia are not underweight and may more effectively hide their condition from friends and family.
Brooke Randolph
Marriage & Family Therapy
Verbal, physical, or sexual abuse are all risk factors for developing bulimia nervosa. People who suffer from bulimia are more likely than others to have parents with substance abuse or mental health struggles. Participation in activities that generally require slenderness can also contribute to the development of bulimia.

Continue Learning about Bulimia

What You Need to Know About Bulimia
What You Need to Know About Bulimia
The signs of bulimia may not be as clear as you think. Unlike anorexia, people who have bulimia generally eat enough, or more than enough. However, af...
Are bulimia and laryngitis related?
Bulimia is an eating disorder in which people vomit frequently. The vomiting causes throat irritatio...
Will I be able to repair my tooth erosion after recovering from bulimia?
After your bulimia has been resolved and you are no longer vomiting repeatedly, you can begin re...
How Hilaria Baldwin Took Control of Her Life