How do people with bulimia nervosa behave with food?

People with bulimia nervosa (BN) have episodes of eating much more than the average person would eat in a particular time period, and they feel out of control of their eating during this time. Then, they do something to “get rid of ” the calories. This may include vomiting, using laxatives or other medications, fasting, or excessive exercise.

YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Bulimia

What happens when a teen has bulimia?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
Bulimia involves bingeing (consuming huge amounts of food) followed by purging (eliminating the ...
What is bulimia nervosa?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
A person with bulimia (also called binge-eating/purging type) eats in binges and then induces vomiti...
Is bulimia nervosa an eating disorder?
Bulimia nervosa is an eating disorder. Someone with bulimia nervosa eats a large amount of food and ...
How Can I Help My Bulimic Teen?
How Can I Help My Bulimic Teen?