Can I get better if I have bulimia?

Yes. Someone with bulimia can get better. A health care team of doctors, nutritionists, and therapists will help the patient recover. They will help the person learn healthy eating patterns and cope with their thoughts and feelings. Treatment for bulimia uses a combination of options. Whether or not the treatment works depends on the patient.

To stop a person from binging and purging, a doctor may recommend the patient:

• Receive nutritional advice and psychotherapy, especially cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
    • Be prescribed medicine

CBT is a form of psychotherapy that focuses on the important role of thinking in how we feel and what we do. CBT that has been tailored to treat bulimia has shown to be effective in changing binging and purging behavior, and eating attitudes. Therapy for a person with bulimia may be one-on-one with a therapist or group-based.

Some antidepressants, such as fluoxetine (Prozac), which is the only medication approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for treating bulimia, may help patients who also have depression and/or anxiety. It also appears to help reduce binge-eating and purging behavior, reduces the chance of relapse, and improves eating attitudes. ("Relapse" means to get sick again, after feeling well for a while)

This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about Bulimia

What are common characteristics of persons with bulimia?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Most people with eating disorders share certain personality traits and use abnormal eating rituals a...
What is bulimia nervosa?
A person with bulimia (also called binge-eating/purging type) eats in binges and then induces vomiti...
What happens when a teen has bulimia?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
Bulimia involves bingeing (consuming huge amounts of food) followed by purging (eliminating the ...
How Can I Help My Bulimic Teen?
How Can I Help My Bulimic Teen?