Are black girls more likely to develop bulimia than white girls?

Dr. Andrea Pennington, MD
Integrative Medicine
New results out of the University of Southern California show that black girls are twice as likely to be bulimic than white girls. The approach this study took was to ask girls about their behaviors as opposed to studying hospital admission data. Many bulimic girls who are minorities or from low socio economic status were probably missed all along.

Continue Learning about Bulimia

What You Need to Know About Bulimia
What You Need to Know About Bulimia
The signs of bulimia may not be as clear as you think. Unlike anorexia, people who have bulimia generally eat enough, or more than enough. However, af...
Is bulimia nervosa an eating disorder?
Ximena JimenezXimena Jimenez
Bulimia nervosa is an eating disorder in which the person eats huge amount of calories. The person c...
What should I do if someone I know has bulimia?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
Set a time to talk. Find a time to talk alone with your friend. Make sure you talk in a quiet place ...
How to Start Recovering From an Eating Disorder