Why does the elbow bruise easily?

It's easy to bruise your elbow because it has almost no padding. There is especially little padding in the area directly above the olecranon process, which is the bony tip of the elbow. There are no big muscles or fat tissues that cover and pad this area.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Southern Utah University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Bruises

What can I do to help a bruise heal faster?
Applying ice or a cold pack after the injury can help to enhance bruise healing. Watch as Dr. Oz tal...
Can herbal supplements increase the risk of bruising?
Certain supplements such as ginkgo biloba and ginseng can increase the risk of bruising. Watch as Dr...
What can cause my elbow to swell up quickly after I hit it?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
It may be that you have a contusion (bruise) because of the lack of padding and general vulnerab...
What can I do about my bruise?
Bruises are caused when tiny blood vessels are damaged or broken. Watch as Dr. Oz answers a view...