What is a brain bruise (contusion?)

A brain bruise or contusion results from bleeding and swelling inside the brain where an injury occurred. It is a type of traumatic brain injury. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), “a TBI is caused by a bump, blow or jolt to the head or a penetrating head injury that disrupts the normal function of the brain.” It can result when the head violently and suddenly hits an object. However, not all bumps, blows or jolts to the head result in a TBI.

The CDC declares traumatic brain injury (TBI) a public health problem in the United States. In 2010, about 2.5 million emergency department (ED) visits, hospitalizations or deaths were associated with TBI—either alone or in combination with other injuries—in the United States.

Continue Learning about Bruises

Can Ginseng Cause Bruises On Your Skin?
Can Ginseng Cause Bruises On Your Skin?
Is Arnica Effective for Treating Bruises?
What Can I Do About My Bruise?
What Can I Do About My Bruise?
Why Do People Bruise More Easily As They Get Older?