What is a brain bruise (contusion?)

A brain bruise or contusion results from bleeding and swelling inside the brain where an injury occurred. It is a type of traumatic brain injury. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), “a TBI is caused by a bump, blow or jolt to the head or a penetrating head injury that disrupts the normal function of the brain.” It can result when the head violently and suddenly hits an object. However, not all bumps, blows or jolts to the head result in a TBI.

The CDC declares traumatic brain injury (TBI) a public health problem in the United States. In 2010, about 2.5 million emergency department (ED) visits, hospitalizations or deaths were associated with TBI—either alone or in combination with other injuries—in the United States.

Continue Learning about Bruises

How should I treat a shin bruise?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The shin is vulnerable and sensitive to contusions from blows or bumps because of the absence of...
How can I treat my child's bruises?
In order to treat your child's bruises you can use the same treatment method you'd use for an ad...
What are the possible symptoms of a contusion?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
A contusion is an injury to the soft tissues under your skin. This allows the red blood cells to col...
What can cause my elbow to swell up quickly after I hit it?
It may be that you have a contusion (bruise) because of the lack of padding and general vulnerab...