What can cause my elbow to swell up quickly after I hit it?

It may be that you have a contusion (bruise) because of the lack of padding and general vulnerability of the elbow. It is common for a contusion of the elbow to swell rapidly after irritation of the olecranon bursa or the synovial membrane. You should treat the swelling immediately with ice and compression for at least 24 hours. If swelling is severe, see a physician for further examination.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Southern Utah University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Bruises

When should I call my doctor if I have contusions (bruises)?
Reasons to call a healthcare professional for a bruise: The bruise is accompanied by persistent pa...
Why are bruises purple?
Bruises get their red or purplish color from blood that collects underneath the skin after tiny bloo...
Why does the elbow bruise easily?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
It's easy to bruise your elbow because it has almost no padding. There is especially little padd...
Why do people bruise more easily as they get older?
You may have noticed that some older people have many bruises on their arms and legs. There are a fe...