What can cause my elbow to swell up quickly after I hit it?

It may be that you have a contusion (bruise) because of the lack of padding and general vulnerability of the elbow. It is common for a contusion of the elbow to swell rapidly after irritation of the olecranon bursa or the synovial membrane. You should treat the swelling immediately with ice and compression for at least 24 hours. If swelling is severe, see a physician for further examination.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Southern Utah University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Bruises

Do blood thinners make people bruise more easily?
Medications that thin your blood like aspirin and or Coumadin (warfarin) can increase the risk of br...
What are treatment options for excessive bruising?
Easy or excessive bruising can be normal as you age or caused by vitamin deficiencies or problem...
Can fruit be used to treat bruises?
Enzymes called bromelain and papain, found in pineapple and papaya can both be helpful for treating ...
Why are bruises purple?
Bruises get their red or purplish color from blood that collects underneath the skin after tiny bloo...