What are treatments for a bruise?

Most bruises can be cared for at home. Although painful and sometimes unsightly, they are generally not a serious injury. These are the things that you can do at home for a bruise:
  • Rest a bruise to allow blood to clot more rapidly.
  • Elevate the bruised area to keep the swelling down.
  • Apply ice or a cold pack to the bruised area for 10 minutes with moderate pressure. Use every 3 to 4 hours for 2 to 3 days. (A bag of frozen peas or corn works well for this and can be reused as an ice pack. Be sure to label the package, so you don't eat the vegetables later.) The cold will reduce swelling and ease the pain.
  • Avoid applying any heat to a bruised area.
  • Avoid vigorous exercise for 24 to 48 hours if a bruise is severe.

Continue Learning about Bruises

How should I treat a shin bruise?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The shin is vulnerable and sensitive to contusions from blows or bumps because of the absence of...
When should I call my doctor if I have contusions (bruises)?
Reasons to call a healthcare professional for a bruise: The bruise is accompanied by persistent pa...
What can cause my elbow to swell up quickly after I hit it?
It may be that you have a contusion (bruise) because of the lack of padding and general vulnerab...
Which medications can cause easy bruising?
Among the medications that can make you bruise more easily are blood-thinning medications like aspir...