How can I treat my child's bruises?

In order to treat your child's bruises you can use the same treatment method you'd use for an adult: the RICE method (rest, ice, compression, and elevation). For icing, you can wrap an ice pack, frozen veggies, a plastic baggy full of ice, or even the cooler from the kid's lunch box with a clean dishcloth or paper towel so the ice doesn't sting so much. (Double-bag frozen items with plastic bags to help prevent accidental leakage.) Compress with an elastic bandage, but not so tight that the area beyond the ACE turns blue. The RICE method works by reducing the inflammation that occurs after an injury. An OTC anti-inflammatory pain reliever like children's ibuprofen (Motrin) may help too.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Bruises

Do blood thinners make people bruise more easily?
Medications that thin your blood like aspirin and or Coumadin (warfarin) can increase the risk of br...
When should I call my doctor if I have contusions (bruises)?
Reasons to call a healthcare professional for a bruise: The bruise is accompanied by persistent pa...
Can herbal supplements increase the risk of bruising?
Certain supplements such as ginkgo biloba and ginseng can increase the risk of bruising. Watch as Dr...
What are treatments for a bruise?
Most bruises can be cared for at home. Although painful and sometimes unsightly, they are genera...