Why should I keep my cast clean and dry?

You need to keep your cast clean and dry so that germs cannot get into it. If germs get in your cast they can make you sick. Also, if the cast gets wet, it can lose its shape and will not do a good job keeping your bone in the right position to heal.

Continue Learning about Broken Bones

What is the first step in bone fracture recovery?
Dr. David M. Slovik, MDDr. David M. Slovik, MD
Breaking a bone is often painful and frightening. Recovery can take months, and a break can threaten...
How is a rib fracture diagnosed?
Alaska Regional HospitalAlaska Regional Hospital
A rib fracture is initially diagnosed with a physical examination and a chest x-ray.
What are some different types of bone fractures?
Fractures may be classified as: Closed or simple fracture — the bone is broken but does not punct...
Can Elderly Women Decrease Their Risk for Falls and Fractures Even If They Start Exercising in Their 70's?