What is a fracture to the neck of the femur?

The neck of the femur is the area between the head (the ball) and the shaft of the femur. Fractures to the neck of the femur are most commonly seen in elderly individuals with osteoporosis, but also occur in people who have been involved in events such as a car accident. This type of fracture may cause a disruption to the blood supply of the head of the femur. Treatment of this type of fracture usually includes surgery either to replace the bone with a prosthesis or to place three metal screws into position to hold the bone in place long enough to allow healing to begin.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Tampa Athletic Training Education Program)

Continue Learning about Broken Bones

What kind of doctor should I see if I have a bone fracture?
Swedish Medical CenterSwedish Medical Center
Not every broken bone requires a fracture specialist or orthopedic trauma specialist, but many do. I...
Are there other fractures besides oblique fractures?
An oblique fracture is one in which the bone break diagonally, but it is only one type of fracture. ...
How is a rib fracture diagnosed?
Alaska Regional HospitalAlaska Regional Hospital
A rib fracture is initially diagnosed with a physical examination and a chest x-ray.
Can Elderly Women Decrease Their Risk for Falls and Fractures Even If They Start Exercising in Their 70's?