What type of doctor should I see if I have an infected bone?

Infected bones following fractures are often treated by orthopedic traumatologists, who have an advanced level of training that involves an extra year or two of training after a surgical residency. In cases of infected bones, there are special skills and techniques that are used. For example, there are 20 or 30 different surgical techniques to save an infected bone. When looking for an orthopedic traumatologist, seek someone who has completed fellowship training in trauma in a practice that has a portion of it devoted to the ongoing consistent management of people with bone infections.

Continue Learning about Broken Bones

How common are stress fractures in the feet?
MountainView HospitalMountainView Hospital
Stress fractures in the feet are more common as sports are becoming more readily played and people a...
Is a sternum fracture dangerous?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
A sternum fracture can be very serious and can be considered a medical emergency. An impact to the c...
How do I know if I have a stress fracture?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
A stress fracture shows up as a persistent tender spot or swelling, most commonly in the shin (t...
Can Elderly Women Decrease Their Risk for Falls and Fractures Even If They Start Exercising in Their 70's?