What type of doctor should I see if I have an infected bone?

Infected bones following fractures are often treated by orthopedic traumatologists, who have an advanced level of training that involves an extra year or two of training after a surgical residency. In cases of infected bones, there are special skills and techniques that are used. For example, there are 20 or 30 different surgical techniques to save an infected bone. When looking for an orthopedic traumatologist, seek someone who has completed fellowship training in trauma in a practice that has a portion of it devoted to the ongoing consistent management of people with bone infections.

Continue Learning about Broken Bones

How can I tell if I've fractured my elbow?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
When an elbow fracture is suspected, the individual... May be holding the arm and elbow at an odd...
What is a compression fracture?
A compression fracture is a type of break in a bone caused by pressure and in which the bone collaps...
How is a closed fracture diagnosed?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
A closed fracture is diagnosed with an x-ray. X-rays take pictures of the bones, and doctors can use...
Can Elderly Women Decrease Their Risk for Falls and Fractures Even If They Start Exercising in Their 70's?