What is the difference between a stress fracture and a fracture?

A stress fracture is an incomplete fracture of a bone. It is thought of as a crack in the bone. A fracture is a definite break in the bone.

This answer provided for NATA by the Gustavus Adolphus College Athletic Training Education Program.

Continue Learning about Broken Bones

What are the treatment options for a closed fracture?
Dr. Elif E. Oker, MDDr. Elif E. Oker, MD
A closed fracture may be treated with a immobilization with a splint and/or cast. Depending on the l...
Anjan R. Shah, MDAnjan R. Shah, MD
Stress fractures and true fractures can occur in many ways. Watch as orthopedic surgeon Anjan Shah, ...
How do I know if I have a stress fracture?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
A stress fracture shows up as a persistent tender spot or swelling, most commonly in the shin (t...
Can Elderly Women Decrease Their Risk for Falls and Fractures Even If They Start Exercising in Their 70's?