What is the difference between a stress fracture and a fracture?

A stress fracture is an incomplete fracture of a bone. It is thought of as a crack in the bone. A fracture is a definite break in the bone.

This answer provided for NATA by the Gustavus Adolphus College Athletic Training Education Program.

Continue Learning about Broken Bones

What should I do if I fracture my foot or ankle bone?
Christopher W. Hodgkins, MDChristopher W. Hodgkins, MD
Someone with a foot or ankle injury should immediately go to the emergency room as there is a narrow...
What can I expect if I go to the emergency room with a broken bone?
Dr. Kathleen Handal, MDDr. Kathleen Handal, MD
It may be displaced and need to be put back into alignment. Don’t worry; you’ll be given IV sedation...
What are the treatment options for a closed fracture?
The treatment options for a closed fracture depend on the severity of the crack or break. You may ne...
Can Elderly Women Decrease Their Risk for Falls and Fractures Even If They Start Exercising in Their 70's?