What is the difference between a stress fracture and a fracture?

A stress fracture is an incomplete fracture of a bone. It is thought of as a crack in the bone. A fracture is a definite break in the bone.

This answer provided for NATA by the Gustavus Adolphus College Athletic Training Education Program.

Continue Learning about Broken Bones

What is a cast?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
A cast is a bandage covered in a type of glue. It is wrapped around the part of the body where a fra...
Are there other fractures besides pathologic fractures?
A pathologic fracture occurs because some other condition, such as cancer, has made the bones more f...
What should I do if I fracture my foot or ankle bone?
Christopher W. Hodgkins, MDChristopher W. Hodgkins, MD
Someone with a foot or ankle injury should immediately go to the emergency room as there is a narrow...
Can Elderly Women Decrease Their Risk for Falls and Fractures Even If They Start Exercising in Their 70's?