What causes a vertebral compression fracture?

Dr. Peter B. Hathaway, MD
Diagnostic Radiologist

The main risk factor for a vertebral compression fracture is osteoporosis, so the people who have vertebral compression fractures are the elderly. Usually a fracture is caused by a fall or a slip where you fall to the ground. Some folks have bones so thin, though, that even a hard sneeze could cause a broken bone in the back.

Another important risk factor is cancer. Tumors can develop in the back, usually spread from somewhere else, and that can make the bone fragile and lead it to break.

Low bone density, or osteoporosis, can make you susceptible to fractures, including vertebral compression fractures.

Continue Learning about Broken Bones

What is the long-term prognosis for patients with hip fractures?
Fred C. Redfern, MDFred C. Redfern, MD
The long-term prognosis for hip fractures has changed dramatically, says Fred Redfern, MD, an orthop...
How do I know if my tailbone is broken?
Tailbone pain does not always mean it is broken. In this video, Dr. Oz answers an audience membe...
How do I know if I have broken a bone in my foot?
Dr. James P. Ioli, DPMDr. James P. Ioli, DPM
You'll need an foot x-ray to tell for sure whether you've broken or fractured a bone in your foot, b...
Can Elderly Women Decrease Their Risk for Falls and Fractures Even If They Start Exercising in Their 70's?