What is the most common cause of bone fractures among older adults?

Falls are the leading cause for emergency room (ER) visits and overnight hospital stays for adults 65 and older. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), unintentional falls are the most common cause of bone fractures among older adults, which can affect the hips, arms, legs, hands, pelvis and spine. Additionally, falls can result in severe bruising and head trauma, including traumatic brain injuries with long- and short-term consequences. 

Continue Learning about Broken Bones

What are the phases of bone repair?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Doctors typically divide the process of bone repair into four phases. Whenever a bone breaks, the b...
What kind of doctor should I see if I have a bone fracture?
Swedish Medical CenterSwedish Medical Center
Not every broken bone requires a fracture specialist or orthopedic trauma specialist, but many do. I...
What is an orthopedic traumatologist?
Regional Medical CenterRegional Medical Center
An orthopedic traumatologist specializes in broken bones, or fracture care.
Can Elderly Women Decrease Their Risk for Falls and Fractures Even If They Start Exercising in Their 70's?