What can cause a stress fracture?

Repetitive stress can cause a bone to break at a microscopic level.

Stress fractures of the lower leg are a common overuse condition, especially among distance runners. They often occur in inexperienced or nonconditioned individuals. Training errors are often the cause, such as increasing mileage too quickly or running in old sneakers. Pain is often more intense after the activity. One technique for distinguishing the pain is tapping firmly above the level of tenderness. Vibration travels along the bone to the stress fracture, which may respond with pain. A bone scan can accurately assess the presence of a stress fracture.

This answer provided for NATA by the Eastern University Athletic Training Education Program.

Continue Learning about Broken Bones

Can I run if I have broken arm?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
You shouldn't run when you have a broken arm because it's important to keep the elbow immobilize...
Are there other fractures besides tranverse fractures?
A tranverse fracture is a clean, straight break in the bone. However, it is only one type of fractur...
What type of doctor should I see if I have an infected bone?
Swedish Medical CenterSwedish Medical Center
Infected bones following fractures are often treated by orthopedic traumatologists, who have an adva...
Can Elderly Women Decrease Their Risk for Falls and Fractures Even If They Start Exercising in Their 70's?