Are there other fractures besides comminuted fractures?

A comminuted fracture is one in which the bone breaks into several parts, but it is only one type of fracture. An open fracture, which is also called a compound fracture, is one that punctures the skin and requires immediate attention to avoid infection, while a closed fracture does not come through the skin. A displaced fracture is when the pieces of bone on either side of the break do not line up.

Continue Learning about Broken Bones

How is a rib fracture diagnosed?
Alaska Regional HospitalAlaska Regional Hospital
A rib fracture is initially diagnosed with a physical examination and a chest x-ray.
What type of doctor should I see if I have an infected bone?
Swedish Medical CenterSwedish Medical Center
Infected bones following fractures are often treated by orthopedic traumatologists, who have an adva...
What should I do if I fracture my foot or ankle bone?
Christopher W. Hodgkins, MDChristopher W. Hodgkins, MD
Someone with a foot or ankle injury should immediately go to the emergency room as there is a narrow...
Can Elderly Women Decrease Their Risk for Falls and Fractures Even If They Start Exercising in Their 70's?