Are there other fractures besides oblique fractures?

An oblique fracture is one in which the bone break diagonally, but it is only one type of fracture. An open fracture, which is also called a compound fracture, is one that punctures the skin and requires immediate attention to avoid infection. Two other types of fractures, called the comminuted and displaced fractures, often require surgery. A comminuted fracture is when the bone breaks in more than one place. A displaced fracture is when the pieces of bone on either side of the break do not line up.

Continue Learning about Broken Bones

What is a closed fracture?
A closed fracture is a break or crack in the bone that does not come through the skin but sometimes ...
What should I do if I fracture my foot or ankle bone?
Christopher W. Hodgkins, MDChristopher W. Hodgkins, MD
Someone with a foot or ankle injury should immediately go to the emergency room as there is a narrow...
How can I manage pain from a rib fracture?
Alaska Regional HospitalAlaska Regional Hospital
You can manage pain from a rib fracture with NSAIDs, medications, or epidural catheters.
Can Elderly Women Decrease Their Risk for Falls and Fractures Even If They Start Exercising in Their 70's?