There have been many claims that electrical stimulation, ultrasound treatment, and even magnets can help a bone heal faster; however, there is no clear evidence that any of these work. A bone takes, on average, four to six weeks to heal. The best ways to ensure a bone heals appropriately is to quit smoking, eat a balanced diet including all the food groups, and making sure you stick to your treatment plan. Cigarette smoking will decrease the blood flow to the bone that brings the nutrients and cells necessary for bone to heal. A balanced diet provides those nutrients that need to be delivered to the bone. Removing a cast too early or bearing weight on a bone not yet healed can result in a bone not healing in a timely fashion.
- Q What can I expect if I go to the emergency room with a broken bone?
- Q What are common treatment steps for bone fractures?
- Q How does a bone heal?
- Q What can I do to stop the itching under my cast?
- Q How should I use saline solution to clean pins in a broken bone?
- Q What happens after surgery for a fracture?