Is there anything I can do to help a bone heal faster?

There have been many claims that electrical stimulation, ultrasound treatment, and even magnets can help a bone heal faster; however, there is no clear evidence that any of these work. A bone takes, on average, four to six weeks to heal. The best ways to ensure a bone heals appropriately is to quit smoking, eat a balanced diet including all the food groups, and making sure you stick to your treatment plan. Cigarette smoking will decrease the blood flow to the bone that brings the nutrients and cells necessary for bone to heal. A balanced diet provides those nutrients that need to be delivered to the bone. Removing a cast too early or bearing weight on a bone not yet healed can result in a bone not healing in a timely fashion.

Continue Learning about Broken Bones

How do I know if I have a stress fracture?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
A stress fracture shows up as a persistent tender spot or swelling, most commonly in the shin (t...
How long is the recovery time for a fractured pelvis?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Bone healing typically occurs within 6 to 16 weeks; however, the strength of the bone and the abilit...
What is a stress fracture?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
Stress fractures are bone injuries that affect less than 1 percent of the population. They are exace...
Can Elderly Women Decrease Their Risk for Falls and Fractures Even If They Start Exercising in Their 70's?