Will my child need physical therapy after a cast is removed?

Children usually do not require physical therapy after a cast or splint is removed. The area that was covered by the cast or splint may appear thin and feel weak. This is because the muscle was not being used. In most cases, however, children will regain their strength and flexibility by doing everyday activities. Your doctor will follow your child’s progress and determine if physical therapy is needed. 

Continue Learning about Broken Bones in Children

How are pins used to treat broken bones in children?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Pins are used to keep broken bones in place until they heal. They are small metal rods from the ...
How should I protect my child’s skin from irritation from a cast?
Michael E. Raemisch, MDMichael E. Raemisch, MD
There are ways to protect your child’s skin from getting irritated: • During the first 24 hours a...
How do I take care of my child when his or her cast is itching?
If your child has itching from a cast, turn a hair dryer on the cool setting and aim it under the ca...
How long will my child be in a cast?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
The length of time a child is in a cast after breaking a bone depends on several factors: the child’...