What is a wrist fracture in children?

Rachel Rohde, MD
Orthopedic Surgery

It might sound strange to define "children," but in the world of orthopedics, a "child" is someone whose skeleton has not stopped growing yet. We can tell this by X-ray because the "growth plates" still are open, meaning that there still is growth expected.

Most breaks at the wrist in children occur either as "buckle" fractures (the bone is so soft that it "buckles") or "growth plate fractures."  These breaks occur through the growth plate and sometimes can't be seen on the X-ray because the growth plate itself, like a break, is a dark line. 

Continue Learning about Broken Bones in Children

How is a wrist fracture treated in children?
Dr. Rachel S. Rohde, MDDr. Rachel S. Rohde, MD
Treatment varies based on the characteristics of the fracture and the age of the child. The younger ...
How should I protect my child’s skin from irritation from a cast?
Michael E. Raemisch, MDMichael E. Raemisch, MD
There are ways to protect your child’s skin from getting irritated: • During the first 24 hours a...
When should I call the doctor about my child's cast?
Call the doctor if your child’s cast is too tight or too loose. Check this every day. A cast that ...
Why is it important to have an expert treat your child's fracture?
Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SLRocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SL
Children are not just “little adults” when it comes to their fractures, as their bones are growing a...