What should I know about caring for my child's cast?

Keep it Elevated - If your child has a cast, it's important to keep it elevated. The more you can help your child keep the cast elevated, the less swelling he/she may experience.

Monitor It - If your child has a cast on an arm or leg, be sure he is wiggling those fingers or toes. If they have any problems or complaints about moving those extremities, then that might be a clue that your doctor needs to re-check the cast. Of course, you’ll be going in for follow-up appointments, but you should know some signs to watch for that might indicate you need to go back in sooner.

If the cast is on an arm, do the fingers look normal? Or are they blue? If they are blue, call your doctor because they may need to check out the cast. Does the skin around the cast look red? If so, your doctor may need to take a look at it.

Keep it Clean - You should also make every attempt to keep it clean and dry. Cover the cast during bath time, and switch to sponge baths a couple nights a week.

Tip: Ask your friends and family to draw on your child's cast. A unique cast may encourage your child to keep it clean. 

This content originally appeared on Blackman Family Physician's blog.

Continue Learning about Broken Bones in Children

How is a wrist fracture treated in children?
Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SLRocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SL
A broken wrist, or wrist fracture, in a child is generally treated with casting. In some situations,...
How is a fracture detected in a very young child?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Children's bones are less thick and more bendable compared with adult bones. They may break more eas...
What should I expect when my child’s cast is removed?
Roger Saldana, MDRoger Saldana, MD
When your child’s cast or splint is removed, the area may appear thin and your child may complain th...
How will my child's cast be removed?
Roger Saldana, MDRoger Saldana, MD
Your doctor will use special tools to safely remove your child’s cast. A cast should always be remov...