What should I know about caring for my child's cast?

Keep it Elevated - If your child has a cast, it's important to keep it elevated. The more you can help your child keep the cast elevated, the less swelling he/she may experience.

Monitor It - If your child has a cast on an arm or leg, be sure he is wiggling those fingers or toes. If they have any problems or complaints about moving those extremities, then that might be a clue that your doctor needs to re-check the cast. Of course, you’ll be going in for follow-up appointments, but you should know some signs to watch for that might indicate you need to go back in sooner.

If the cast is on an arm, do the fingers look normal? Or are they blue? If they are blue, call your doctor because they may need to check out the cast. Does the skin around the cast look red? If so, your doctor may need to take a look at it.

Keep it Clean - You should also make every attempt to keep it clean and dry. Cover the cast during bath time, and switch to sponge baths a couple nights a week.

Tip: Ask your friends and family to draw on your child's cast. A unique cast may encourage your child to keep it clean. 

This content originally appeared on Blackman Family Physician's blog.

Continue Learning about Broken Bones in Children

What is the Salter-Harris classification for broken bones in children?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The Salter-Harris classification is used by physicians to help determine the extent of a growth plat...
What is a wrist fracture in children?
Rachel Rohde, MDRachel Rohde, MD
It might sound strange to define "children," but in the world of orthopedics, a "child" is someone w...
What happens if my child fractures the growth plate?
Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SLRocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SL
The growth plate (also known as the physis) is the soft part of growing tissue near the ends of the ...
How long will my child be in a cast?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
The length of time a child is in a cast after breaking a bone depends on several factors: the child’...