What should I know about caring for my child's cast?

Keep it Elevated - If your child has a cast, it's important to keep it elevated. The more you can help your child keep the cast elevated, the less swelling he/she may experience.

Monitor It - If your child has a cast on an arm or leg, be sure he is wiggling those fingers or toes. If they have any problems or complaints about moving those extremities, then that might be a clue that your doctor needs to re-check the cast. Of course, you’ll be going in for follow-up appointments, but you should know some signs to watch for that might indicate you need to go back in sooner.

If the cast is on an arm, do the fingers look normal? Or are they blue? If they are blue, call your doctor because they may need to check out the cast. Does the skin around the cast look red? If so, your doctor may need to take a look at it.

Keep it Clean - You should also make every attempt to keep it clean and dry. Cover the cast during bath time, and switch to sponge baths a couple nights a week.

Tip: Ask your friends and family to draw on your child's cast. A unique cast may encourage your child to keep it clean. 

This content originally appeared on Blackman Family Physician's blog.

Continue Learning about Broken Bones in Children

When should I call the doctor about my child's cast?
Michael E. Raemisch, MDMichael E. Raemisch, MD
Call the doctor if your child’s cast is too tight or too loose. Check this every day. A cast that ...
Will my child need physical therapy after a cast is removed?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
Children usually do not require physical therapy after a cast or splint is removed. The area that wa...
Which bones do children commonly break?
Common broken bones include: collarbones and wrists, from falls and bracing for falls; fingers, from...
How is a wrist fracture diagnosed in children?
Rachel Rohde, MDRachel Rohde, MD
After an injury to the wrist (especially a fall onto an outstretched hand), a child might have swell...