What should I expect when my child’s cast is removed?

Roger Saldana, MD
Pediatric Orthopedic Surgery
When your child’s cast or splint is removed, the area may appear thin and your child may complain that it feels weak or stiff. This is because the muscles were not being used. The muscles will return to their normal strength and size with regular use. 

Your child’s skin also might look a bit different. It may be dry, scaly, flaky or pale and the hair that was underneath the cast might seem darker and thicker than usual. These changes are normal and will clear up fairly quickly. Your child’s skin may be a bit sensitive for a few days. Your child should not scrub or scratch the skin because it is still at risk for breakdown and infection. Instead, gently wash the area with mild soap and a soft cloth, pat dry and apply a little lotion. 

Continue Learning about Broken Bones in Children

How is a wrist fracture treated in children?
Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SLRocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SL
A broken wrist, or wrist fracture, in a child is generally treated with casting. In some situations,...
How will my child's cast be removed?
Roger Saldana, MDRoger Saldana, MD
Your doctor will use special tools to safely remove your child’s cast. A cast should always be remov...
What should I know about the pins in my child's broken bone?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Children may get an infection where the pin enters the skin. The infected area will be red and p...
What happens if my child fractures the growth plate?
The growth plate (also known as the physis) is the soft part of growing tissue near the ends of the ...