What happens if my child fractures the growth plate?

The growth plate (also known as the physis) is the soft part of growing tissue near the ends of the long bones. Because of their soft nature, growth plates are extremely vulnerable to injury. They are weaker than the surrounding tendons and ligaments. When a child fractures a growth plate, treatment is similar to any type of fracture. It will need to be held still, or immobilized. If the fracture crosses the area of bone surrounding the growth plate, it is generally more severe. Treatment will typically require a longer period of casting. More severe growth plate fractures are monitored even after casting is complete to make sure that the bone continues to grow as expected.

Continue Learning about Broken Bones in Children

What is a wrist fracture in children?
Rachel Rohde, MDRachel Rohde, MD
It might sound strange to define "children," but in the world of orthopedics, a "child" is someone w...
How should I protect my child’s skin from irritation from a cast?
Michael E. Raemisch, MDMichael E. Raemisch, MD
There are ways to protect your child’s skin from getting irritated: • During the first 24 hours a...
How will my child's cast be removed?
Roger Saldana, MDRoger Saldana, MD
Your doctor will use special tools to safely remove your child’s cast. A cast should always be remov...
How do I take care of my child when his or her cast is itching?
If your child has itching from a cast, turn a hair dryer on the cool setting and aim it under the ca...