What happens if my child fractures the growth plate?

The growth plate (also known as the physis) is the soft part of growing tissue near the ends of the long bones. Because of their soft nature, growth plates are extremely vulnerable to injury. They are weaker than the surrounding tendons and ligaments. When a child fractures a growth plate, treatment is similar to any type of fracture. It will need to be held still, or immobilized. If the fracture crosses the area of bone surrounding the growth plate, it is generally more severe. Treatment will typically require a longer period of casting. More severe growth plate fractures are monitored even after casting is complete to make sure that the bone continues to grow as expected.

Continue Learning about Broken Bones in Children

How can I tell if my child has a broken bone?
Medical City Children’s HospitalMedical City Children’s Hospital
One way to tell if your child has a broken bone is the obvious symptom of bone sticking out of skin....
Will my child need physical therapy after a cast is removed?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
Children usually do not require physical therapy after a cast or splint is removed. The area that wa...
How long will my child be in a cast?
The length of time a child is in a cast after breaking a bone depends on several factors: the child’...
Why is it important to have an expert treat your child's fracture?
Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SLRocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SL
Children are not just “little adults” when it comes to their fractures, as their bones are growing a...