Should my child see a pediatric orthopedist for a broken hand?

The treatment for adults and children with broken bones is sometimes different, especially since the bones in a child are not yet mature and thus still need to grow. You may wish to have your child evaluated by a pediatric orthopedist or hand specialist in order to ensure your child receives the most appropriate and effective care based on his age and the nature of his injury. (This answer provided for NATA by the Indiana University Athletic Training Education Program)

Continue Learning about Broken Bones in Children

How long will my child be in a cast?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
The length of time a child is in a cast after breaking a bone depends on several factors: the child’...
More Answers
What happens if my child fractures the growth plate?
Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SLRocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SL
The growth plate (also known as the physis) is the soft part of growing tissue near the ends of the ...
More Answers
How is a fracture detected in a very young child?
Agueda Hernandez, MDAgueda Hernandez, MD
A bone displacement sometimes is not obvious because of the soft tissue there in the area. Some of t...
More Answers
How should I protect my child’s skin from irritation from a cast?
Michael E. Raemisch, MDMichael E. Raemisch, MD
There are ways to protect your child’s skin from getting irritated: • During the first 24 hours a...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.