Should my child see a pediatric orthopedist for a broken hand?

The treatment for adults and children with broken bones is sometimes different, especially since the bones in a child are not yet mature and thus still need to grow. You may wish to have your child evaluated by a pediatric orthopedist or hand specialist in order to ensure your child receives the most appropriate and effective care based on his age and the nature of his injury. (This answer provided for NATA by the Indiana University Athletic Training Education Program)

Continue Learning about Broken Bones in Children

How long will my child be in a cast?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
The length of time a child is in a cast after breaking a bone depends on several factors: the child’...
What should I expect when my child’s cast is removed?
Roger Saldana, MDRoger Saldana, MD
When your child’s cast or splint is removed, the area may appear thin and your child may complain th...
What is the Salter-Harris classification for broken bones in children?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The Salter-Harris classification is used by physicians to help determine the extent of a growth plat...
How should I protect my child’s skin from irritation from a cast?
Michael E. Raemisch, MDMichael E. Raemisch, MD
There are ways to protect your child’s skin from getting irritated: • During the first 24 hours a...