How is a wrist fracture treated in children?

Dr. Rachel S. Rohde, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon

Treatment varies based on the characteristics of the fracture and the age of the child. The younger the child, the more growth s/he has left, and the more likely s/he is to "remodel" the bone. If there is significant displacement or angulation of the break, it might need to be "reduced," or put back into place. Most wrist fractures in children can be treated by casting and close follow-up by an orthopaedic surgeon. Sometimes, surgery involving placement of pins, screws, plates or any combination of these is needed to stabilize the fracture.

A broken wrist, or wrist fracture, in a child is generally treated with casting. In some situations, a wrist brace may also be an appropriate treatment. Depending on the severity, your child may be in a cast or brace for approximately three to six weeks.

Continue Learning about Broken Bones in Children

Why is it important to have an expert treat your child's fracture?
Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SLRocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SL
Children are not just “little adults” when it comes to their fractures, as their bones are growing a...
More Answers
How will my child's cast be removed?
Roger Saldana, MDRoger Saldana, MD
Your doctor will use special tools to safely remove your child’s cast. A cast should always be remov...
More Answers
How are pins used to treat broken bones in children?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Pins are used to keep broken bones in place until they heal. They are small metal rods from the ...
More Answers
What should I expect when my child’s cast is removed?
Roger Saldana, MDRoger Saldana, MD
When your child’s cast or splint is removed, the area may appear thin and your child may complain th...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.