How is a wrist fracture treated in children?

Dr. Rachel S. Rohde, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon

Treatment varies based on the characteristics of the fracture and the age of the child. The younger the child, the more growth s/he has left, and the more likely s/he is to "remodel" the bone. If there is significant displacement or angulation of the break, it might need to be "reduced," or put back into place. Most wrist fractures in children can be treated by casting and close follow-up by an orthopaedic surgeon. Sometimes, surgery involving placement of pins, screws, plates or any combination of these is needed to stabilize the fracture.

A broken wrist, or wrist fracture, in a child is generally treated with casting. In some situations, a wrist brace may also be an appropriate treatment. Depending on the severity, your child may be in a cast or brace for approximately three to six weeks.

Continue Learning about Broken Bones in Children

How is a wrist fracture diagnosed in children?
Rachel Rohde, MDRachel Rohde, MD
After an injury to the wrist (especially a fall onto an outstretched hand), a child might have swell...
How is a fracture detected in a very young child?
Agueda Hernandez, MDAgueda Hernandez, MD
A bone displacement sometimes is not obvious because of the soft tissue there in the area. Some of t...
When should I call the doctor about my child's cast?
Michael E. Raemisch, MDMichael E. Raemisch, MD
Call the doctor if your child’s cast is too tight or too loose. Check this every day. A cast that ...
What happens if my child fractures the growth plate?
Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SLRocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SL
The growth plate (also known as the physis) is the soft part of growing tissue near the ends of the ...