How will my child's cast be removed?

Roger Saldana, MD
Pediatric Orthopedic Surgery
Your doctor will use special tools to safely remove your child’s cast. A cast should always be removed by a doctor. He or she will first evaluate the fracture to be sure the cast can be removed. A cast is difficult to remove without the proper tools, and we do not recommend that children and parents attempt to remove it at home. You can injure the skin or reinjure the fracture. 
The doctor will use a cast cutter that looks like a small rotary saw. It will not cut the skin, but it is noisy and has lots of vibrations. After the cast
is off, clean the skin with soapy water and gentle rubbing, rinse, and dry. You might need to apply some lotion.

The casted body part will feel weak and flabby, and look thinner. Through exercise and use it will return to normal.

Continue Learning about Broken Bones in Children

What should I know about caring for my child's cast?
TriStar StoneCrest Medical CenterTriStar StoneCrest Medical Center
Keep it Elevated - If your child has a cast, it's important to keep it elevated. The more you can he...
More Answers
Will my child need physical therapy after a cast is removed?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
Children usually do not require physical therapy after a cast or splint is removed. The area that wa...
More Answers
How is a wrist fracture diagnosed in children?
Rachel Rohde, MDRachel Rohde, MD
After an injury to the wrist (especially a fall onto an outstretched hand), a child might have swell...
More Answers
Why is it important to have an expert treat your child's fracture?
Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SLRocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SL
Children are not just “little adults” when it comes to their fractures, as their bones are growing a...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.