How will my child's cast be removed?

Roger Saldana, MD
Pediatric Orthopedic Surgery
Your doctor will use special tools to safely remove your child’s cast. A cast should always be removed by a doctor. He or she will first evaluate the fracture to be sure the cast can be removed. A cast is difficult to remove without the proper tools, and we do not recommend that children and parents attempt to remove it at home. You can injure the skin or reinjure the fracture. 

The doctor will use a cast cutter that looks like a small rotary saw. It will not cut the skin, but it is noisy and has lots of vibrations. After the cast
is off, clean the skin with soapy water and gentle rubbing, rinse, and dry. You might need to apply some lotion.

The casted body part will feel weak and flabby, and look thinner. Through exercise and use it will return to normal.

Continue Learning about Broken Bones in Children

Why is it important to have an expert treat your child's fracture?
Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SLRocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SL
Children are not just “little adults” when it comes to their fractures, as their bones are growing a...
What should I know about the pins in my child's broken bone?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Children may get an infection where the pin enters the skin. The infected area will be red and p...
How is a fracture detected in a very young child?
Agueda Hernandez, MDAgueda Hernandez, MD
A bone displacement sometimes is not obvious because of the soft tissue there in the area. Some of t...
Will my child need physical therapy after a cast is removed?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
Children usually do not require physical therapy after a cast or splint is removed. The area that wa...