How are pins used to treat broken bones in children?

Pins are used to keep broken bones in place until they heal. They are small metal rods from the size of a large piece of wire to the size of a pencil. They may be placed in the bone only, partially in the bone, or completely through the bone. The length of time that pins are in place depends on why a child needs them. When your child has pins, it is very important to keep them clean to prevent infection. Talk with your doctor about how often you should clean your child's pins.

Continue Learning about Broken Bones in Children

What should I expect when my child’s cast is removed?
Roger Saldana, MDRoger Saldana, MD
When your child’s cast or splint is removed, the area may appear thin and your child may complain th...
How should I protect my child’s skin from irritation from a cast?
Michael E. Raemisch, MDMichael E. Raemisch, MD
There are ways to protect your child’s skin from getting irritated: • During the first 24 hours a...
How do I take care of my child when his or her cast is itching?
If your child has itching from a cast, turn a hair dryer on the cool setting and aim it under the ca...
Why is it important to have an expert treat your child's fracture?
Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SLRocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SL
Children are not just “little adults” when it comes to their fractures, as their bones are growing a...