How are pins used to treat broken bones in children?

Pins are used to keep broken bones in place until they heal. They are small metal rods from the size of a large piece of wire to the size of a pencil. They may be placed in the bone only, partially in the bone, or completely through the bone. The length of time that pins are in place depends on why a child needs them. When your child has pins, it is very important to keep them clean to prevent infection. Talk with your doctor about how often you should clean your child's pins.

Continue Learning about Broken Bones in Children

What should I expect when my child’s cast is removed?
Roger Saldana, MDRoger Saldana, MD
When your child’s cast or splint is removed, the area may appear thin and your child may complain th...
How is a wrist fracture treated in children?
Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SLRocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SL
A broken wrist, or wrist fracture, in a child is generally treated with casting. In some situations,...
How can I tell if my child has a broken bone?
Medical City Children’s HospitalMedical City Children’s Hospital
One way to tell if your child has a broken bone is the obvious symptom of bone sticking out of skin....
What is the Salter-Harris classification for broken bones in children?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The Salter-Harris classification is used by physicians to help determine the extent of a growth plat...