How long will my child be in a cast?

The length of time a child is in a cast after breaking a bone depends on several factors: the child’s age and health; and the type, location and severity of the fracture. Recovery time for a fracture can range from a few weeks to months. If there are other injuries, treatment may be more complicated and recovery may take longer.

A wrist fracture is a common fracture among children. A child with a minimal wrist fracture is typically in a cast for approximately three to four weeks. After the cast is removed, a child should get full range of motion back within a few weeks.  

Continue Learning about Broken Bones in Children

How should I protect my child’s skin from irritation from a cast?
Michael E. Raemisch, MDMichael E. Raemisch, MD
There are ways to protect your child’s skin from getting irritated: • During the first 24 hours a...
What should I know about the pins in my child's broken bone?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Children may get an infection where the pin enters the skin. The infected area will be red and p...
Which bones do children commonly break?
Common broken bones include: collarbones and wrists, from falls and bracing for falls; fingers, from...
How will my child's cast be removed?
Roger Saldana, MDRoger Saldana, MD
Your doctor will use special tools to safely remove your child’s cast. A cast should always be remov...