How do I take care of my child when his or her cast is itching?

If your child has itching from a cast, turn a hair dryer on the cool setting and aim it under the cast. You can also ask your family doctor about giving your child an antihistamine as these medications help decrease itching. Never place any objects inside the cast as this could cause infection or injury.

Continue Learning about Broken Bones in Children

Will my child need physical therapy after a cast is removed?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
Children usually do not require physical therapy after a cast or splint is removed. The area that wa...
How is a wrist fracture treated in children?
Dr. Rachel S. Rohde, MDDr. Rachel S. Rohde, MD
Treatment varies based on the characteristics of the fracture and the age of the child. The younger ...
What should I know about caring for my child's cast?
TriStar StoneCrest Medical CenterTriStar StoneCrest Medical Center
Keep it Elevated - If your child has a cast, it's important to keep it elevated. The more you can he...
What is a wrist fracture in children?
Rachel Rohde, MDRachel Rohde, MD
It might sound strange to define "children," but in the world of orthopedics, a "child" is someone w...