When should I call the doctor about my child's cast?

Michael E. Raemisch, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Call the doctor if your child’s cast is too tight or too loose. Check this every day. A cast that is too loose will not do its job. A cast that is too tight can decrease blood supply and cause damage to the nerves in the body part. Signs of decreased blood supply to the body part are:

• numbness, tingling, or burning
   • change in skin color to bluish, or pale
   • cold to touch
   • swelling that is not relieved when you elevate the casted part
   • severe pain that is not relieved by medicine.

Continue Learning about Broken Bones in Children

Which bones do children commonly break?
Common broken bones include: collarbones and wrists, from falls and bracing for falls; fingers, from...
What should I know about caring for my child's cast?
TriStar StoneCrest Medical CenterTriStar StoneCrest Medical Center
Keep it Elevated - If your child has a cast, it's important to keep it elevated. The more you can he...
How can I tell if my child has a broken bone?
Medical City Children’s HospitalMedical City Children’s Hospital
One way to tell if your child has a broken bone is the obvious symptom of bone sticking out of skin....
What happens if my child fractures the growth plate?
Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SLRocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SL
The growth plate (also known as the physis) is the soft part of growing tissue near the ends of the ...