When should I call the doctor about my child's cast?

Michael E. Raemisch, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Call the doctor if your child’s cast is too tight or too loose. Check this every day. A cast that is too loose will not do its job. A cast that is too tight can decrease blood supply and cause damage to the nerves in the body part. Signs of decreased blood supply to the body part are:

• numbness, tingling, or burning
   • change in skin color to bluish, or pale
   • cold to touch
   • swelling that is not relieved when you elevate the casted part
   • severe pain that is not relieved by medicine.

Continue Learning about Broken Bones in Children

What happens if my child fractures the growth plate?
Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SLRocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SL
The growth plate (also known as the physis) is the soft part of growing tissue near the ends of the ...
Which bones do children commonly break?
Common broken bones include: collarbones and wrists, from falls and bracing for falls; fingers, from...
How is a wrist fracture diagnosed in children?
Rachel Rohde, MDRachel Rohde, MD
After an injury to the wrist (especially a fall onto an outstretched hand), a child might have swell...
Will my child need physical therapy after a cast is removed?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
Children usually do not require physical therapy after a cast or splint is removed. The area that wa...