What benefits can I expect from obstacle breathing?

Pam Grout
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

This is another biggie with breathing coaches because by putting up an obstacle you make conscious contact with your breath. By focusing on the out breath, more air goes out and when more air goes out, more air has to come in. Plus the simple act of pursing the lips forces you to breathe in a deeper, more diaphragmatic mode.

While this seems pretty benign at first, there are several benefits. By letting the air stream out as freely as possible through the straw, you actually expel more air than you ordinarily would. This is the key to increased inhalation. The pressure of the atmospheric air and the pressure of the air in the lungs have to equalize.

Furthermore, since the air can get out only slowly through the narrow straw, the diaphragm is forced to relax slowly rather than suddenly. Slow relaxation of the diaphragm improves muscle tone. As soon as your breathing apparatus is toned up, more efficient breathing follows.

It also gives you a simple and objective test to check the quality of your breathing. With the palm of your hand, feel the temperature of the first and last exhalation you let pass through the straw. You will discover the air at the end o f your session is considerably warmer than your first exhalation. As air coming from the deeper part of your body is warmer, this indicates your breathing is deeper, less superficial than when you began.

Jumpstart Your Metabolism: How To Lose Weight By Changing The Way You Breathe

If you've tried every conceivable combination of diet and exercise and still can't shed those extra pounds, then perhaps you haven't discovered the hidden key to weight loss -- proper breathing. By...

Continue Learning about Breathing Exercises

The Benefits of Deep Breathing
The Benefits of Deep Breathing
In To Have and Have Not, Marie (Lauren Bacall) asks Harry (Humphrey Bogart), “You know how to whistle don’t you? You just put your lips together and b...
How can I practice mindfulness breathing?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Mindfulness breathing is a simple strategy to begin developing mindfulness skills. The act of practi...
How does the triangle breathing exercise help me lower my stress level?
Pam GroutPam Grout
It is the simplest breathing exercise you can do, wherever you happen to be. You don't need a leotar...
Deep Breathe to Lower Your Blood Pressure in Just 30 Seconds