How can I practice mindfulness breathing?

Mindfulness breathing is a simple strategy to begin developing mindfulness skills. The act of practicing mindfulness can be challenging; the key is practice, practice, practice.

Start by bringing your attention to your breathing.

Breathe in through your nose, allowing the air to fill your lower belly.

Then, breathe out through your mouth. Notice the sensations of each inhalation and exhalation.

Continue the breathing exercise for a while. Then, begin to broaden your focus by noticing thoughts, feelings and sensations that arise in the moment.

Notice each thought or sensation as it arises, without judging it good or bad and without pursuing it (letting it become a center focus, in other words).

If you become distracted, return focus to your breathing and then expand your awareness again.

Continue Learning about Breathing Exercises

The Benefits of Deep Breathing
The Benefits of Deep Breathing
In To Have and Have Not, Marie (Lauren Bacall) asks Harry (Humphrey Bogart), “You know how to whistle don’t you? You just put your lips together and b...
What is the alternate-nostril breathing exercise for a healthy life?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
You are going to expand on the breath work by adding alternate-nostril breathing. Place the thumb of...
How can I do a breathing exercise to relax?
Alice DomarAlice Domar
Here's how to do a mini-relaxation using breathing: Breathe deeply. (This is called diaphragmatic...
Can Deep Breathing Reduce Stress?
Can Deep Breathing Reduce Stress?