Should I begin pranic breathing slowly at first?

Master Stephen Co
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
There’s an old Chinese martial arts saying that’s translated roughly as “smooth is fast.” This maxim is drilled into beginners who attempt to build up speed and power in their fighting techniques by using too much effort and trying too hard. The true way to attain proficiency - in any new endeavor or skill - is to focus on being smooth and controlled rather than exerting a “110-percent effort.” The same principle applies to your pranic breathing practice. Like most aspects of the energetic routines in this book, pranic breathing isn’t a conscious or willful process. In fact, concentrating in a lips-pursed, fists-clenched way is counterproductive to relaxed, smooth pranic breathing. When you’re learning a new skill, however, it’s normal to focus on the mechanics until they become second nature. Thus, you may find yourself consciously repeating the count: “Inhale 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, hold 1, exhale 1, 2, 3, . . . ” along with other instructions. In the beginning, feel free to focus on performing the technique correctly, making sure you have the right count, keeping your chest still, and so on. But check yourself after a week or two to make sure that your pranic breathing is becoming smooth. If it takes a little longer than two weeks, that’s fine, but practice until pranic breathing happens with the right rhythm and retention without your thinking about it.
Your Hands Can Heal You: Pranic Healing Energy Remedies to Boost Vitality and Speed Recovery from Common Health Problems

What if one of the most effective tools you have to restore your health is not surgery or medications, but your own hands? Incredibly, your hands can heal you -- with the "energy medicine" of Pranic...

Continue Learning about Breathing Exercise Techniques

How do I perform alternative nostril breathing exercises?
Pam GroutPam Grout
Sit in a chair or on a comfortable mat on the floor with your back straight. Essentially, what you w...
How do I practice abdominal breathing?
Sheri Van DijkSheri Van Dijk
To do abdominal breathing, take a moment right now to notice how you're breathing: are you breat...
What is rebirthing?
Pam GroutPam Grout
Rebirthing is a powerful breathing exercise that releases emotional issues that have been lodged in ...
How can I learn to better control my breath?
Pam GroutPam Grout
As we begin to practice the pumping exercises, we become keenly aware of how much control we actuall...