How do I perform alternative nostril breathing exercises?

Pam Grout
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
  1. Sit in a chair or on a comfortable mat on the floor with your back straight. Essentially, what you will be doing in this exercise is breathing in one nostril and out the other, then in the second nostril and out the first.
  2. Using your index finger (either one) to hold the right nostril closed; breathe in with your left nostril to the count of six. Hold the breath for three counts.
  3. Now, closing off the left nostril with your finger, release the right nostril and breathe out to the count of six.
  4. Still closing your left nostril, breathe in with your right for six counts. Hold for three counts.
  5. Then, closing off the right nostril, release the left nostril and breathe out to the count of six.
  6. Repeat the entire sequence (steps two to five) six times.

By alternating the flow of air through your nostrils, you will experience an unbelievable sense of relaxation, and the balancing effect this will have on your brain will be miraculously tranquilizing.

You can do this exercise as often as you wish, but you should try to do it at least once a day during your week of experimentation. It wouldn't surprise me if you eventually add it to your daily repertoire. It is especially helpful if you think you're going to have a stressful day.

Jumpstart Your Metabolism: How To Lose Weight By Changing The Way You Breathe

If you've tried every conceivable combination of diet and exercise and still can't shed those extra pounds, then perhaps you haven't discovered the hidden key to weight loss -- proper breathing. By...

Continue Learning about Breathing Exercise Techniques

What is the "Pushing the Sky" exercise to loosen my diaphragm?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
The following are the steps for Pushing the Sky exercise:1. Stand erect but relaxed with arms extend...
What is the "Looking at the Moon" exercise to loosen my diaphragm?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
The following are the steps for the Looking at the Moon exercise:1. Bend over at the waist, with arm...
How can I perform the Cleansing Breath Exercise?
Mike LuqueMike Luque
The basic cleansing breath is usually performed as the closing of any other deep breathing exercise....
What is rebirthing?
Pam GroutPam Grout
Rebirthing is a powerful breathing exercise that releases emotional issues that have been lodged in ...