How do rhythm and retention work in increasing my energy levels?

Master Stephen Co
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

Here is how rhythm and retention work. During empty retention, when you compress the belly, deflate the lungs, and hold your breath for a moment, you create a physiological and energetic vacuum. It’s comparable to pausing as you fully close a bellows before beginning to draw air in. When you begin your controlled inhale, as you draw oxygen into the lungs, you also pull tremendous amounts of prana into the pores and the chakras. You become highly energized.

During full retention, when your belly is completely expanded and you hold that full breath in your lungs, you’re priming your energy pump. It’s comparable to pausing just after you fully open a bellows before beginning to pump a blast of air into the fireplace. When you begin your controlled exhale, the energy is condensed and moves with greater force into the cells, organs, and chakras, where it is more fully and easily assimilated.

The right rhythm and retention are simple breathing adjustments, but they make a huge difference in the prana you are able to generate. In Pranic Healing classes, we do experiments to demonstrate the power of pranic breathing with rhythm and retention. We ask a person to stand in the front of the room and breathe normally, while a handful of students remain a few feet away on all sides and try to feel, or scan, the person’s aura. Most people can feel it at about 6 inches all around the person’s body. As the person begins pranic breathing, the students start feeling their hands being pushed back. If the person performs pranic breathing for as little as 3 minutes, it’s not unusual for students to feel the aura expand to 20 feet or even more if the person is particularly strong. When we ask how the person who’s breathing feels, invariably the reply is that he or she feels calm and powerful at the same time.

Your Hands Can Heal You: Pranic Healing Energy Remedies to Boost Vitality and Speed Recovery from Common Health Problems

What if one of the most effective tools you have to restore your health is not surgery or medications, but your own hands? Incredibly, your hands can heal you -- with the "energy medicine" of Pranic...

Continue Learning about Breathing Exercise Techniques

How can I perform the Memory-Developing Breath Exercise?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
To perform the memory-developing breath (also known as rapid turtle breathing):Starting position: It...
How can I perform the Perfection Breath Exercise?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
To perform the Perfection Breath Exercise:Starting position: Perform this exercise while standing. B...
How do I perform alternative nostril breathing exercises?
Pam GroutPam Grout
Sit in a chair or on a comfortable mat on the floor with your back straight. Essentially, what you w...
What is the "Looking at the Moon" exercise to loosen my diaphragm?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
The following are the steps for the Looking at the Moon exercise:1. Bend over at the waist, with arm...