How can I perform an optimum breathing rhythm exercise?

Master Stephen Co
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

To perform optimum breathing rhythm exercise, you should do as follows:

1. Place your tongue on your palate, and keep it there throughout the exercise.

2. Inhale for seven counts.

3. Hold for one count.

4. Exhale for seven counts.

5. Hold for one count.

This constitutes one cycle of pranic breathing with the 7–1–7–1 rhythm and retention sequence. Repeat steps one through five for each cycle. To begin your practice, perform three sets of 10 cycles, with a one-minute pause between sets. The entire practice should take you less than 10 minutes.

As you become more proficient at focusing on the breath, you internalize the rhythm, and won’t need to be so aware of it or count it off in your mind. The length of the counts is not as important as maintaining the ratio and the steady pace. But a one-second-per-count rhythm is a good benchmark.

One of the best pacing techniques is to use a pulse count, timing your breathing and retention to your pulse. Using a pulse count also enables you to mark your progress, because as you become more experienced at pranic breathing and meditation, your pulse rate should slow down.

Your Hands Can Heal You: Pranic Healing Energy Remedies to Boost Vitality and Speed Recovery from Common Health Problems

What if one of the most effective tools you have to restore your health is not surgery or medications, but your own hands? Incredibly, your hands can heal you -- with the "energy medicine" of Pranic...

Continue Learning about Breathing Exercise Techniques

What is the "Pushing the Sky" exercise to loosen my diaphragm?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
The following are the steps for Pushing the Sky exercise:1. Stand erect but relaxed with arms extend...
What are the various stages of progressive pranic breathing exercises?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
You will learn pranic breathing in a three-stage progressive exercise routine:1. Stretching and loos...
Should I begin pranic breathing slowly at first?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
There’s an old Chinese martial arts saying that’s translated roughly as “smooth is fast.” This maxim...
How do I practice deep breathing?
Lie flat on the floor, with one hand on your belly and one hand on your chest. Take a deep breath i...