How can I limber up my respiration?

Pam Grout
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

This cocktail is great at limbering up the oxygen passageways. Do this sequence once a day.

1. Stand with your feet eighteen to twenty inches apart.
  2. Clasp your hands behind your back and extend your arms down toward your heels.
  3. As you inhale through your nose, lift and open your chest and rest your chin on your chest.
  4. Feel the front lungs and chest inflating.
  5. Exhale through your nose and release your chin.
  6. Return to the neutral standing position.
  7. Repeat three times.
  8. Now, clasp your left wrist with your right and extend your arms in front of your body.
  9. As you inhale through your nose, round your back and bend your knees so that your whole body is curling forward.
  10. Feel the back lungs inflating.
  11. Exhale through your nose and release, coming back to the neutral sanding position.
  12. Repeat three times.
Jumpstart Your Metabolism: How To Lose Weight By Changing The Way You Breathe

If you've tried every conceivable combination of diet and exercise and still can't shed those extra pounds, then perhaps you haven't discovered the hidden key to weight loss -- proper breathing. By...

Continue Learning about Breathing Exercise Techniques

What are the different ways to breathe?
Dr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhDDr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhD
One good breathing technique is to consciously breath in through your nose and out through your mout...
What is clavicular breathing?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
Clavicular breathing is breathing into the top third of the lungs and no deeper. Clavicular breathin...
What is deep breathing?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Think about how your respiration quickens when you are fearful or in great pain and how taking a...
How do rhythm and retention work in increasing my energy levels?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
Here is how rhythm and retention work. During empty retention, when you compress the belly, deflate ...