How do the lungs work in breathing disorders?

The lungs are important in ensuring that your body gets enough oxygen. They take in air that has oxygen. The oxygen passes from the lungs into the blood supply. The lungs remove the waste gas carbon dioxide from the blood and exhale it from the body. In a breathing disorder, the lungs or another part of the respiratory system work abnormally for some reason. Growths or tissue abnormalities may affect the lungs' production, or a substance may enter the lungs and cause issues.

Continue Learning about Breathing Disorders

What is evaluated in a sleep study?
Daniel R. Spogen, MDDaniel R. Spogen, MD
A sleep study evaluates the following: attempted breathing that is blocked, which is called apne...
Should I tell my child's school about breathing disorders?
Since most breathing disorders need constant treatment, it's important to tell your child's school a...
3 Myths About COPD
3 Myths About COPD
Manage Stress to Breathe Better With Asthma and COPD