Do I need oxygen if I have lung disease and feel short of breath?

Feeling short of breath does not necessarily mean that your body is lacking adequate oxygen. Only by testing your blood oxygen level (ABGs or pulse oximetry) will you know if you need oxygen and how much. Shortness of breath is part of lung disease. Often a regular program of exercise and conditioning combined with optimal medical management (medications and oxygen) may help to decrease the symptoms of shortness of breath.

Continue Learning about Breathing Disorders

What is atelectasis?
Atelectasis is a breathing disorder that happens when a lung partially collapses. This can happen be...
How do I care for someone with a breathing disorder?
If you are caring for someone, keep in mind that there are many kinds of breathing disorders with di...
Manage Stress to Breathe Better With Asthma and COPD
3 Myths About COPD
3 Myths About COPD